Jeuveau™, aka #NEWTOX
Meet Jeuveau™ (prabotulinumtoxinA-xvfs) — aka the #NEWTOX! Jeuveau™ is a modern-made neurotoxin approved by the FDA to temporarily improve the appearance of frown lines.1 Jeuveau™ is the first and only product of its kind dedicated exclusively to aesthetics! As the fourth neurotoxin to hit the market (and the only new option in almost a decade), Jeuveau™ is made using a state-of-the-art manufacturing process called Hi-Pure™ technology.2 Jeuveau™ is the first product from Evolus, and part of its mission to bring a fresh experience and perspective to the aesthetics industry. It’s about time!
- Preparation: Before receiving Jeuveau™ treatments, you should be tested for possible allergies to the substances present in the injection mixture, and should discuss any medications or known allergies with Dr. Vallecillos. Be sure to tell Dr. Vallecillos if you have received injections of any other botulinum toxin in the past. You should also avoid medications that contain aspirin for three weeks prior to, and those that contain ibuprofen for two weeks prior to, your appointment. Your skin should be free of any infections, as Jeuveau™ can exacerbate the condition. On the day of the procedure, your face should be free of any makeup or lotion.
- Anesthesia: A numbing cream may be applied to the affected area to minimize a patient’s discomfort during the procedure.
- The injections will be administered to the affected areas using a very fine needle, usually on the forehead, between the eyebrows, and in the corners of the eyes. Jeuveau™ works by blocking nerve impulses to selected muscles in the face that cause wrinkles, relaxing them and in turn allowing skin to appear smoother.
Who is a candidate for Jeuveau™
You should consider Jeuveau™ if you are an adult under the age of 65 and suffer from moderate to severe facial lines and wrinkles, especially those across the forehead and around the eyes. You should not use Jeuveau™ if you are pregnant or are planning to become pregnant.
What is the recovery time for Jeuveau™?
Patients should experience little to no recovery time after a Jeuveau™ treatment. No dressings are required, and any bumps that may appear at the injection site usually disappear within 30 minutes. Side effects are temporary and may include minor tenderness and slight bruising.
Are there risks or side effects with Jeuveau™?
The most common side effect of Jeuveau™ is tenderness and bruising at the injection sites, usually slight and temporary. Applying ice to the affected areas directly after the procedure can help to minimize this. Some patients experience nose and throat irritation, upper respiratory tract infection, temporary headaches, or dizziness. Other rare complications can include flu-like symptoms and blepharoptosis (or drooping of the upper eyelid). You should not use Jeuveau™ if you have a skin infection, as it can exacerbate the condition.
How long do the results last?
Results from Jeuveau™ injections will begin to show within 3-5 days after the procedure, and should last for up to 4-5 months. While additional injections of Jeuveau™ can be administered to improve results, patients should wait at least 90 days between treatments.
Important Safety Information
See full Important Safety Information
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION FOR JEUVEAU™ (prabotulinumtoxinA-xvfs)
JEUVEAU may cause serious side effects that can be life threatening. Get medical help right away if you have any of these problems any time (hours to weeks) after injection of JEUVEAU:
· Problems swallowing, speaking, or breathing, due to weakening of associated muscles, can be severe and result in loss of life. You are at the highest risk if these problems are pre-existing before injection. Swallowing problems may last for several months.
· Spread of toxin effects. The effect of botulinum toxin may affect areas away from the injection site and cause serious symptoms including: loss of strength and all-over muscle weakness, double vision, blurred vision and drooping eyelids, hoarseness or change or loss of voice, trouble saying words clearly, loss of bladder control, trouble breathing, trouble swallowing.
Do not use JEUVEAU if you: are allergic to any of the ingredients in JEUVEAU (see Medication Guide for ingredients); had an allergic reaction to any other botulinum toxin product such as rimabotulinumtoxinB (MYOBLOC®), onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX®/BOTOX® Cosmetic), abobotulinumtoxinA (DYSPORT®), or incobotulinumtoxinA (XEOMIN®); have a skin infection at the planned injection site; or are a child.
JEUVEAU dosing units are not the same as, or comparable to, any other botulinum.
Tell your healthcare provider about all your muscle or nerve conditions, such as ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease, Myasthenia gravis, or Lambert-Eaton syndrome, as you may be at increased risk of serious side effects including difficulty swallowing and difficulty breathing from typical doses of JEUVEAU.
Tell your healthcare provider about all your medical conditions, including: any side effects from botulinum toxin products, including dry eye; breathing, swallowing, bleeding, or heart problems; plans to have surgery; weakness of forehead muscles; drooping eyelids; had surgery on your face; are pregnant or breastfeeding or plan to become pregnant or breastfeed (it is not known if JEUVEAU can harm your unborn baby or passes into breast milk).
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Using JEUVEAU with certain other medicines may cause serious side effects. Do not start any new medicines until you have told your healthcare provider that you have received JEUVEAU in the past.
Especially tell your healthcare provider if you: have received any other botulinum toxin product in the past and the last 4 months, and exactly which product you received (such as BOTOX, BOTOX Cosmetic, MYOBLOC, DYSPORT, or XEOMIN).
JEUVEAU may cause loss of strength or general muscle weakness, vision problems, or dizziness within hours to weeks of treatment with JEUVEAU. If this happens, do not drive a car, operate machinery, or do other dangerous activities.
JEUVEAU can cause other serious side effects including: allergic reactions (such as itching, rash, red itchy welts, wheezing, asthma symptoms, or dizziness or feeling faint), heart problems (such as irregular heartbeat and heart attack), and eye problems (including dry eye, reduced blinking, and corneal problems). Tell your healthcare provider or get medical emergency help right away if you experience a serious side effect.
The most common side effects include: headache; eyelid drooping, upper respiratory tract infection, and increased white blood cell count in your blood.
JEUVEAU is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used in adults for a short period of time (temporary) to improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines).
The risk information provided here is not complete. For more information about JEUVEAU, see the full Prescribing Information including BOXED WARNING, and Medication Guide, visit evolus.com or talk to your healthcare provider.
To report side effects associated with use of JEUVEAU, please call 1-877-EVOLUS1/1-877-386-5871. You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Manufactured by: Evolus, Inc., 1027 Garden St., Santa Barbara, CA 93101 ©2019 Evolus, Inc. All rights reserved. JEUVEAU is a trademark of Evolus, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
REFERENCES: 1. Jeuveau [Package Insert], Santa Barbara, CA: Evolus, Inc.; 2019. 2. United States Patent: US 9,512,418 B2; Dec. 6, 2016.